GNTC uses the ACCUPLACER test for admission and placement.
This is a requirement for enrollment into GNTC programs of study, unless you are exempt due to SAT/ACT or GED scores that meet the requirements, or valid transfer credits in English or Math. The following link will take you to a chart that includes information on program ready scores, as well as SAT/ACT and GED score requirements that may exempt you from placement testing. Associate degree requirements are higher than Diploma or Certificate level. If you score below the requirement you will be placed in a provisional course in that subject.
The following is required when you come to test:
- A completed application for admission must be turned in.
- The $25 non-refundable Application Fee (one-time fee) must be paid. (This is payable at Administrative Services on the Floyd, Gordon and Polk campuses and at the reception desk on the Walker and Whitfield Murray Campuses.) Retests are $15 per session, regardless of the number of tests taken.
- You must show a picture ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, official state ID, military ID, or passport.)
When is the test administered?
What subjects does the ACCUPLACER test cover?
- Sentence Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra (If required by your program.)
NOTE: All associate degree programs require an algebra test.
How can I prepare to take the ACCUPLACER test?
Online websites can be helpful. If you don’t have a computer, you can use one at a public library. Some of the testing centers may also have free computer time. Their phone numbers are above. Click on this link to see a copy of the Study Guide and a list of the websites that include both practice tests and tutorials.
What if I need accommodations because of a disability or disorder when taking the placement test?
Potential students should schedule an appointment with a Disability Service Coordinator and provide documentation of a disability prior to placement testing. Contact the Disability Service Coordinator on the campus you will be attending. That person will provide a list of accommodations for the Testing Center.
- Catoosa County Campus - Brittany Elrod
- Floyd County Campus - Kevan Watkins
- Gordon County Campus - Kevan Watkins
- Polk County Campus - Kevan Watkins
- Walker County Campus - Brittany Elrod
- Whitfield Murray Campus - Kevan Watkins
Do the GNTC testing centers proctor tests for other colleges?
The testing centers on each GNTC campus may provide proctoring services to students from other institutions. In order to receive proctoring services at GNTC, students must adhere to the following guidelines.
- GNTC will accommodate test proctoring for other institutions on a space and time available basis. All requests should be referred to the official testing center of the GNTC campus at which the proctoring service is requested.
- The individual or institution will be charged a $20.00 proctoring fee.
- Services will require pre-registration and appointments, and the testing centers reserve the right to refuse service if time, space, and availability of personnel do not permit.
- An individual requesting ADA accommodations must have the ADA coordinator of the institution forward accommodation recommendations to the testing center in advance of the test.
- Proctoring can include but is not limited to:
- Online testing.
- Pencil and paper testing mailed or electronically transmitted.
TCSG students will not be charged a proctoring fee for distance education by another TCSG college.
Proctored Testing Contacts
- Catoosa County Campus - Angela Davis or Leigh Ann Pettigrew
- Floyd County Campus - Becky Turner or David McBurnett
- Gordon County Campus - Vallery Bailey or Johna Jenkins
- Polk County Campus - Marquita Dorsey or Donna Baldwin
- Walker County Campus - Lori Gregor
- Whitfield-Murray Campus - Angela Davis or Adrienne McCurdy