GNTC uses the ACCUPLACER test for admission and placement.
This is a requirement for enrollment into GNTC programs of study.
What are the score requirements for my program?
The following link will take you to some charts that include information on score requirements. Included are the ACT/SAT requirements that will exempt you from taking the ACCUPLACER placement test; placement in learning support classes if you score below program ready levels; and the program ready cut scores for each program of study. Note that the cut score list is divided into three sections: Associate Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates. Be sure that you select from the category that you plan to pursue as your program of study. Scores below these levels will require that you take learning support classes in those subjects.
- ACCUPLACER Placement Cut Scores
- COMPASS Placement Cut Scores (If you tested before 10/31/16. Scores expire after five years.)
- Course Sequence Chart
The following is required when you come to test:
- A completed application for admission must be turned in.
- The $25 non-refundable Application Fee (one time fee) must be paid.
(This is payable at Administrative Services on the Floyd, Gordon and Polk campuses and at the reception desk on the Walker and Whitfield Murray Campuses.)
- You must show a picture ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, official state ID, military ID, or passport.)
When is the test administered?
Click on one of the following links to get a schedule of testing times. No appointment is required.
- Catoosa County Campus: 706-764-3581- Schedule for CCC
- Floyd County Campus: 706-802-5381 - Schedule for FCC
- Walker County Campus: 706-764-3581 - Schedule for WCC
- Gordon County Campus: 706-624-1112 - Schedule for GCC
- Polk County Campus: 770-684-5696 - Schedule for PCC
- Whitfield Murray Campus: 706-272-2971 - Schedule for WMC
Can I earn credits by taking examinations?
Yes. GNTC now offers CLEP exams from The College Board. Passing an exam on a subject you have mastered allows you to earn college credits without taking the course. The CLEP test is offered only on the Walker County Campus. Click on the following link for more details about how to register and a list of courses for which you may receive credit:
What subjects does the ACCUPLACER test cover?
- Sentence Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra (If required by your program.)
NOTE: All associate degree programs require an algebra test.
How can I prepare to take the ACCUPLACER test?
On-line web sites can be helpful. If you don’t have a computer, you can use one at a public library. Some of the testing centers may also have free computer time. Their phone numbers are above. Click on this link to see a copy of the Study Guide and a list of the web sites that include both practice tests and tutorials.
What if I need accommodations because of a disability or disorder when taking the placement test?
Potential students should schedule an appointment with a Disability Service Coordinator and provide documentation of a disability prior to placement testing. Contact the Disability Service Coordinator on the campus you will be attending:
- Catoosa County Campus - Brittany Elrod
- Floyd County Campus - Sheila Parker
- Gordon County Campus - Sheila Parker
- Polk County Campus - Sheila Parker
- Walker County Campus - Brittany Elrod
- Whitfield Murray Campus - Kevan Watkins
Do the GNTC testing centers proctor tests for other colleges?
GNTC Proctoring Services - The testing centers on each GNTC campus may provide proctoring services to students from other institutions. In order to receive proctoring services at GNTC, students must adhere to the following guidelines.
- GNTC will accommodate test proctoring for other institutions on a space and time available basis. All requests should be referred to the official testing center of the GNTC campus at which the proctoring service is requested.
- The individual or institution will be charged a $20 proctoring fee.
- Services will require pre-registration and appointments, and the testing centers reserve the right to refuse service if time, space, and availability of personnel do not permit.
- An individual requesting ADA accommodations must have the ADA coordinator of the institution forward accommodation recommendations to the testing center in advance of the test.
- Proctoring can include but not limited to:
- On-line testing.
- Pencil and paper testing mailed or electronically transmitted
Proctored Testing Contacts
- Catoosa County Campus - LaJuana Alexander
- Floyd County Campus - Becky Turner or David McBurnett
- Gordon County Campus - Johna Jenkins
- Polk County Campus - Marquita Dorsey or Donna Hopper
- Walker County Campus - LaJuana Alexander
- Whitfield-Murray Campus - Adrienne McCurdy or Cora Pyles
Are you unsure about your career path? Are you ready to make a career change but are unsure of what direction to take?
You can take interest, aptitude, and values inventories at the sites listed below. This will assist you in narrowing your career decisions and help you select a major for your studies. Both sites offer extensive information about Georgia occupations and how to prepare for them.
- VirtualJobShadow is a one-stop, multimedia career planning resource that helps at every stage, from career exploration to landing a job. Experience what it’s like to job shadow at top companies, build a resume, find jobs and internships in your career field, and more.
To access this great resource, create an account (using your college email address as your username) or simply log in if you already have an account. If you forgot your password, please click here.
- Georgia Career Information System
Georgia State University maintains a web site that provides Georgia-specific occupational information and an assessment to assist you with career choices. To access the system, log on to http://www.gcic.peachnet.edu/. Click on the top “Click Here to Enter” Icon (looks like a target), and then enter the following (use the password assigned to the campus where you plan to attend):
- Catoosa County Campus User ID: gntcccc, Password:
- Floyd County Campus User ID: gntcfcc, Password: gcis621
- Gordon County CampusUser ID: gntcgcc, Password: gcis7505
- Polk County Campus User ID: gntcpcc, Password: gcis7503
- Walker County Campus User ID: gntcwcc, Password: gcis619
- Whitfield County Campus User ID: gntcwmc, Password: gcis7507
- Get Started – overview
- Learn About Myself – interest and aptitude inventory
- Learn About Work – Georgia jobs, work conditions and requirements, wages, etc.
- Learn About School – where to get training if required.
- Learn About Employment – how to interview, how to write a resume, and much more.