Pre-Approved Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Economic Development Programs
Georgia Northwestern Technical College’s (GNTC) PLA Initiative is a fundamental effort to bridge non-credit training with select Academic programs. As a result, the Office of Economic Development has made an effort to pre-approve select non-credit programs granting credit course exemptions. The purpose of this initiative is to:
- Create career pathways from Economic Development training into academic programs aligning with industry needs.
- Increase GNTC’s capacity to train and equip additional special populations to occupy hard-to-fill, high-in-demand positions in the workforce.
- Incentivize students successfully completing PLA Eligible programs to further pursue an academic program at GNTC on a faster scale.
To qualify for the PLA Initiative, applicants must complete the Credit Request Form and satisfy minimum admissions requirements at GNTC.
Pre-Approved PLA Economic Development Programs
- 135-Hour Basic Shielded Metal-Arc & Gas Metal-Arc (Credit Course Exempted - WELD 1000)
- 72-Hour Small Business Accelerator (Credit Courses Exempted - MGMT 1100, MKTG 2210)
- Apply to GNTC.
- Complete the Credit Request Form and select Documented Learning.
- Submit a copy of the GNTC PLA Eligible Certificate of Completion and corresponding assessment scores, along with the completed Credit Request Form to:
- Economic Development with the subject: PLA Credit Request. or
- ATTN: Economic Development, One Maurice Culberson Drive, Rome, GA 30161
Information and Next Steps
- A GNTC Subject Matter Expert will review complete Credit Request Forms. Please allow up to four weeks for review; a student may be contacted for additional information or skills demonstration during the evaluation process.
- Upon completing the review, the applicant will receive notification from GNTC of their application request via their student GNTC email account. If the credit is approved, the applicant will receive a PLA Approval Letter from the Vice President of Economic Development and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- The credit will be entered on the student’s record as EXP.