Accounting Specialist, Cedartown, GA
The Polk County Board of Commissioners’ Office is seeking an Accounting Specialist in Cedartown, GA.
Polk County Finance
This position provides technical support for the county's accounting operations.
Full Time; 40 hours weekly
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED; and
- Associated degree preferred; and
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience required; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of county accounts receivable and accounts payable procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in maintaining files and records.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Processes vendor invoices and purchase orders; reviews and makes changes as appropriate; scans and enters invoice data to computerized database; prints and prepares checks for mailing.
- Reviews all invoices for accuracy and ensures free from errors and omissions.
- Issues A/P checks and payroll garnishments.
- Processes accounts receivable for airport tenants as assigned.
- Prepares bank deposits and postage for a variety of departments.
- Assists department heads with purchase orders, invoices, budget questions, budget amendments, etc.
- Prepares a variety of regular and special reports.
- Assists with budget preparations and annual audit.
- Answers telephone and greets customers.
- Enters remote deposits and take credit card payments.
- Maintains copiers and other office equipment.
- Records fixed assets.
- Assists with SPLOST projects.
- Assists with grants.
- Maintains A/R database in QuickBooks.
- Performs related duties.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table, intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects and climbs ladders.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
The Finance Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include county and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work:
- The work consists of related technical duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide technical support for the county's accounting functions. Success in this position contributes to the accuracy and efficiency of those functions.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other county employees, vendors, bank personnel, elected and appointed officials and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information or to resolve a problem.
- Additional salary steps may be given for relevant education and experience.
- Excellent benefits package that includes insurance benefits, retirement/pension, vacation and sick leave and paid holidays.
To apply, an application must be completed and returned to:
Polk County Board of Commissioners’ Office
Human Resource Department
216 Main Street
Cedartown, GA 30125
Interested applicants can also navigate to the Polk County, GA website or email Career Services for additional information.