Graduation is a time of great joy and celebration for family and friends to share in the pride of your academic accomplishments. Georgia Northwestern Technical College is proud to have assisted you in achieving your educational goals. Congratulations!
The information obtained on this link will guide you through the graduation application process at GNTC as well as provide some general information on the Commencement Exercises.
Starting the Graduation Process
Meet with your advisor during Registration times to check your progress toward graduating and to verify you are ready to graduate. You can check the online Catalog to see the requirements for each major offered at GNTC.
Applying for Graduation
In order to be awarded for the program you are completing, you must apply for graduation, as awards are not automatically issued. Complete and submit an Application for Graduation to the Registrar’s Office by the deadlines posted on the Academic Calendar. If your Application for Graduation is received after the deadline or is incomplete or incorrect, it may delay your award and/or ability to participate in the Commencement Exercises. Correspondence concerning your Application for Graduation will be primarily through your student email account. Applications are processed in the order received, so processing time can vary based on how many are ahead of your application. Your MyGNTC transcript will reflect your graduation application status.
Students are eligible to graduate when the following requirements are met:
- The technical certificate of credit (if required), diploma or associate degree seeking student has earned a high school diploma or a GED® and submitted the official transcript to GNTC;
- The required number of credit hours and courses in the student’s program of study has been satisfactorily completed, and the student has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0;
- An Application for Graduation must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline;
- Program area exit examination has been completed (if required); and
- At least 25% of the credit hours required for graduation have been earned at Georgia Northwestern Technical College. No more than 75% of the credit hours required for graduation may be earned by transfer credit, credit by examination, or articulation.
Upcoming Commencement Information
- Commencement Exercises for 2015 Summer and Fall Semester graduates will be held at the Dalton Convention Center in Dalton, Georgia on Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
- Information about the December Commencement will be mailed to all eligible participants in October 2015.
- Commencement Exercises for 2016 Spring Semester graduates will be held at The Forum in Rome, Georgia on May 5, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
- Information about the May Commencement will be mailed to all eligible participants in March 2016.
Cap and Gown
GNTC does not charge a graduation fee; however, graduates who wish to participate in the Commencement Exercises must purchase a cap, gown, and tassel. GNTC graduates wear a black cap and gown. They may be purchased in the Floyd, Gordon, Whitfield Murray, and Walker County bookstores. Bookstore hours are posted on the Bookstore page.
Honor Graduates are recognized at the Commencement Exercises. High Honor Graduates have an overall GPA of 4.0; Honor Graduates have an overall GPA of 3.5-3.99. Honor cords are distributed at the Commencement Exercises rehearsal. Honor Graduate status is reflected on the student transcript.
Assistance or Accommodations
If you plan to attend the Commencement Exercises and require accommodations or assistance, you may contact one of the following Disability Services Coordinators: Sheila Parker (Floyd, Gordon, and Polk County campuses) 706-295-6517; Michael Walters (Walker County campus) 706-764-3799; or Kevan Watkins (Whitfield Murray campus) 706-272-2958.
Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
All degrees, diplomas, and certificates are mailed to the address listed in Banner. It may take up to six weeks after the ending date of the semester for your award to be mailed and/or noted on your transcript. If your address changes, please submit a Change of Status Form to the Registrar’s Office.
Replacement Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
If you need to order a replacement for your degree, diploma, or certificate, Please fill out a Diploma Replacement Request Form.
Any “Hold” on the student’s record will prevent the student from receiving a transcript or award, but will not prevent the student from being able to participate in the Commencement Exercises. If you have a student loan (not HOPE or Pell Grant), contact Financial Aid to complete your Financial Aid Exit Loan Interview by the end of your last term. You will not receive your transcript or award if the Exit Interview is not completed.
If you need assistance in your job search, visit GNTC’s Career Services page. Helpful information, such as job postings, job search sites, and contact information, is available on this site.
For Further Assistance
If you have any additional questions regarding the Commencement Exercises or the graduation application process at Georgia Northwestern Technical College, please contact GNTC’s Graduation Specialist, Marilyn Grandstaff.