First time student accounts will be available on the first day of the term.
Mouse over the Online Learning tab above and Click on Angel to get started. Please keep in mind that Blackboard will have high usage during the first week of the term and you may receive session timeout messages. You will not need to report problems unless you are given an "invalid user" message or cannot log in for a couple of days. Using your GNTC student email account, students should report issues to the course instructor or onlinehelp @ gntc.edu.
How do I log on to ANGEL (A New Global Environment for Learning) to start my class?
You will be able to log into your course on the first day of the term. You will use 29_900IDnumber. The password for new students is the same as the username: 29_9000xxxxxx (GNTC student ID number). New students will be prompted to reset their password on the first login.
- Click here to access ANGEL. (Add this link to your favorites or bookmarks.)
What are online classes and how are they classified?
An online course is one delivered over the Internet using ANGEL LMS (Learning Management System) through GVTC (Georgia Virtual Technical Connection). Hybrid courses use the LMS and also meet on campus part of the time. Web-enhanced classes meet on campus the required time but have some components in the LMS.
The course is entirely online and communication with your instructor is done via email and course software. Some online courses may require a proctored component.
The course is 50% on campus. This offers the opportunity to be in the classroom for personal communication and the flexibility of an online component.
All meetings are on campus, but many components of the course like the syllabus, assignments, tests, etc. use the LMS.
How do I take an online class?
Students log into the course using the information sent to their GNTC student email or located on the Angel page under Online Learning. Course information is posted in each class where students might take tests, submit assignments, etc. Online courses are not self-paced; due dates are determined by the instructor and listed in the course student guide. Students are required to complete assignments according to the class schedule, maintain contact with the instructor, and participate in online communications including discussions. Some instructors will require attendance on certain days so be sure to check the syllabus.
What skills should I possess to take online classes?
Taking an online course requires the ability to work independently and to carefully follow a schedule for completing assignments. Students learning online have a greater responsibility for their own success than students in traditional classroom settings. It is important that students practice self-discipline and have motivation to work on a flexible schedule without getting behind. Students must be prepared to dedicate from 5-15 hours per week in order to be successful in an online or hybrid course. Please click on Online Learning>Angel to take the SmarterMeasure (READI) test to see if online classes are a good fit for you.
- Username: student
- Password: gntc
Access Keys for Books
Some online/hybrid classes require textbooks with an 'access key' or 'access code' that is ONLY available with new books or may be purchased separately. Please check with the instructor of your online course if you are not sure if an access key or code is needed.
Are there open computer labs?
- Tutoring & Lab Schedules - Online students are welcome to use open computer labs, tutoring labs, and media centers on all campuses. Some of the labs are staffed for assistance.
What are the requirements for my online class? ANGEL has not been fully tested using Windows 8.
IE 11 UPDATE (CAN'T TYPE IN TEXTBOXES)
- Select 'delete browsing history' from the tools menu>deselect 'preserve favorites website data' and select the 'temporary Internet files, cookies, and history'>click delete.
- If you still have issues with Internet Explorer open you can click File>Tools>Compatibility View Settings or you can also use the wheel icon to go to Compatibility View Settings. If you don't have File Menu visible you can use the 'ALT' key which will show you the file menu and choose the View Toolbars and add the URL address for ANGEL which is http://gntc.angellearning.com.
- You can also click on the compatibility view icon (broken page) in the URL bar to switch.
- You can click 'tools' in the upper right of the page and change to compatibility view.
- OR you can use the Mozilla Firefox browser as it does not seem to have any issues at this time.
- Google Chrome and IE 11 are not currently supported by ANGEL, but IE 11 can be used if in compatibility view.
WINDOWS 8 ISSUES
When using Windows 8 with )Internet Explorer, be sure your browser is set to default with IE10 desktop browser and not the IE 10 metro browser when using a PC and not a tablet. This can be done by following these steps
- Click start screen and in lower right corner when choices appear, choose the search options and type in launch. One option should be ‘choose how you want to open )Internet Explorer.’ Your choices will include the following
Let )Internet Explorer Decide
Launches links based on the environment you are in
Always in )Internet Explorer
Launches links in the Windows 8 Metro browser which is not compatible with ANGEL when using a PC
Always in )Internet Explorer on the Desktop
Launches links in the desktop environment which is compatible with ANGEL at this time
- The option of checking ‘open )Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop’ controls what happens when you click the IE tile.
Box left unchecked
Launch in the Windows 8 Metro environment which is not compatible with ANGEL when using a PC
Launch in the desktop environment which is compatible with ANGEL at this time
Many CIS and BUS classes require additional software such as Windows 7 and Office 2010. Please check with your instructor for details. GNTC is not responsible for software on your personal computer or software needed for particular classes. General Education and Learning Support classes generally require Microsoft Word. Many public libraries also have Microsoft Word available on their computer systems.
- Now Available in your campus store- Microsoft Office 2010, 180 day Trial Version.
- You can purchase Microsoft Office 2010 Student Version for $99.95 at The Microsoft Student Store. YOU MUST USE YOUR GNTC STUDENT EMAIL ADDRESS. If you have difficulty ordering please call 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (696-7786) M-F 8am-1am EST, 12pm-8pm weekends. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order. Detailed information can be found by visiting the customer page.
- WINDOWS 8 AND INTERNET EXPLORER 10 USERS-Some features of Angel are better viewed by using the Mozilla Firefox browser.
For a guide to Windows 8 and )Internet Explore 10 click here for Microsoft Support and for general support from Microsoft you can click here.
- PLEASE CHECK THE REQUIREMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS FOR THE RECOMMENDED BROWSER IF YOU ARE USING PEARSON'S MYITLAB, MYLABSPLUS OR ANY OTHER THIRD PARTY COURSEWARE.
Who should I contact for proctoring tests?
CAN YOU SHOW ME?
Below are screen casts with audio and screen capture to show you how to perform some of the important functions in the ANGEL LMS.
How do I use Turnitin in my General Core classes?
- Turnitin Training for use outside of ANGEL
- Turnitin Manual for Angel integration
- Submitting Turnitin assignments with ANGEL integration
- Reviewing your grade in Turnitin
How can I get assistance with Math and Writing?
ANGEL LMS includes access to Smarthinking, an online tutoring and on-demand student support service. View the Tutoring & Lab Schedules.
How do I send email and assignments in ANGEL classes?
How do I use the discussion board in ANGEL classes?
How does the live chat/live office hours in ANGEL work for students?
How do I check my grades in ANGEL classes?